Tuesday, May 25, 2010

My Cameroonian Digs

I haven't decided if I'm going to just continue with the picture fest that I began last blog update or whether I will also culture you a bit...

For starters, welcome to my home in Teacher's Quarter within Chaikain's compound. The first two photos are a sampling of the intensity of the rains during rainy season, a view from the front door and a view from the back door.




The next series of photos are the interior of my house!










The last two photos are my section of house from the driveway and then the entire structure with my Francophone neighbors' digs on the right.




Is it what you thought? It's no mud hut in the middle of nowhere, I'll tell you that, and you've seen for yourself. There is electricity (locally known as "current") and running water 95% of the time. It's more than I deem necessary for this experience, but am at least glad that I had more of a "village experience" during my training. Although I'm loving having internet and being able to watch tv shows or movies at night, I think I'd prefer running water to electricity. Then again, not having running water really allows for water conservation more than anything. I've learned, now that's it is rainy season, to use the rain water to clean my floors, my clothes, and occasionally my dishes and have been a conservationist when it comes to taking my showers. I only allow the water to run to wet my hair and my body and then to wash the soap off.

In closing, work has been a bit frustrating lately, the first time over the past almost 6 months at post. I was trying to secure the following "projects" until leaving for the US (some of them continuing once I return, as well):

~ Monthly Diabetes Clinic (slowly I am working with the involved parties to help it run more efficiently)

~ Assisting BFF with various projects that they want to carry out in the community, surrounding family planning and orphans' and widows' rights

~ A 1 week camp (in mid-June) with the other Northwest volunteers at an orphanage, touching upon health topics, sports, dance, arts & crafts, computer science, and agroforestry/farming topics

~ Weekly nutrition office hours (10 am - 2pm on Tuesdays) at the Fundong District Hospital which has not caught on so well and feels like a waste of my time (but I keep telling myself...patience, patience and how else can I go about making this better)

~ Choose A Future course for adolescent girls aged 12-20 years, which will be both leadership and empowerment focused, that I am hoping to begin this Thursday, for each Monday and Thursday until I leave for the US. Unfortunately though, the principals of whom I've asked to select the students and write them recommendations have failed to budge and I'm frustrated as to how to proceed...

I'm hoping this is only a fleeting period of feeling frustrated and that things fall into place.

Hoping all is well with you! Keep in touch, give me an update, and take care!

Until next time,

Stef

1 comment:

  1. Hey Hon...LOVE your pics!! It gives us a little taste of the life that you have been living! XoXo

    ReplyDelete